Wednesday 16 October 2013

Conditionals



   If Clauses

There are three types of  if-clauses.

type
condition
I
condition possible to fulfil
II
condition in theory possible to fulfil
III
condition not possible to fulfil (too late)

Form


type
if clause
main clause
I
Simple Present 
will-future (or Modal + infinitive)
II
Simple Past 
would + infinitive *
III
Past Perfect
would + have + past participle *

Examples


type
Example
I
positive
If I study, I will pass the exam.
negative
If I study, I won't fail the exam.
If I don't study, I will fail the exam.
II
positive
If I studied, I would pass the exam.
negative
If I studied, I wouldn't fail the exam.
If I didn't study , I would fail the exam.
III
positive
If I had studied, I would have passed the exam.
negative
If I had studied, I wouldn't have failed the exam.
If I hadn't studied, I would have failed the exam.

* We can substitute could or might for would (should, may or must are sometimes possible, too).

I would pass the exam.
I could pass the exam.
I might pass the exam.
I may pass the exam.
I should pass the exam.
I must pass the exam.





No comments:

Post a Comment

O seu comentário será publicado após aprovação